France is still one of the most popular countries that Brits who are planning to move abroad choose. It is a large country with big cities, bustling market towns, and sleepy villages out in the sticks. France has some wonderful coastline, especially in the south on the Mediterranean, but it also has large rural areas, vineyards aplenty, and of course, the Alps. 
If you have been to France for your summer holidays, you might think that the weather is always warm and sunny. However, this is wrong. Although the south is sunny and warm, it gets the Mistral which is a cold wind that can blow at 40 mph and more for two or three days at a time, and this can have a severe effect on the temperature. Of course, the Alps and the Pyrenees can have heavy snowfall in the winter too. However, if you move to the Atlantic coast the weather is generally mild without extremes of hot or cold. 
Learn The Language 
One of the things that you need to consider is the language. Most of us learned a bit of French at school, but that isn’t going to be good enough if you want to fit in with French society. Indeed, if you want to get a job in France it will be essential that you speak French fluently, so you need to go to evening classes, or take an online course. 
If you are going to need a job you will also need a visa and a work permit as we are no longer in the EU. The work permit may be handled by your employer if you have one lined up. There are two different types of visa, depending on whether you are taking a salaried job or going to be self-employed. If you haven’t got a job lined up to go to or you have to set up a business, you need to make sure that you have enough money to live on for six months or even more while you find a job or set up your new venture. 
You also need to take out health insurance for the first period of living in France. You can apply to join the French national health scheme after you have been a resident for three months, although if you are setting up your own business you can join it as soon as the business is registered. It is possible that your visa application will require you to show that you have health insurance. 
If you are buying a property, you need to be aware that properties in France are sold en l’etat – as is – so you need to have a thorough survey carried out because you can’t claim if defects are discovered later. 
As for France removals, at Movers International we can help you. Our France removals team run a regular weekly service to France, so we can help you with a full load or part load as required. Just one thing to note, and that is that if you are moving to a village where access is difficult, please advise us, so that we can use the right vehicle to get you where you need to go. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings