If you are thinking of moving to Spain, you need to spend some time doing your homework because there are a lot of things to take into consideration. Sure, you may have been there on holiday. You may even have been several times. But a two-week holiday is very different from living there, full time. 
Spain is a large country, and the climate can vary considerably. In the North it has mild winters and warm summers, but in the South, on the Mediterranean it gets pretty hot in the summer. Away from the coast, in the centre, it gets hot in summer and cold in winter. In fact, it gets so cold that you scan ski in the Pyrenees and Sierra Nevada. 
It is well worthwhile taking some lessons to learn the language. Certainly, you may be moving to an area where there are a lot of Brits, since it is a very popular destination for UK expats, but even so it is a lot easier if you can speak Spanish, and it is actually a very easy language to learn. 
The cost of living in Spain is considerably lower than it is in the UK although it does vary from one region to another. Property prices are very reasonable away from the big cities and tourist areas. 
Spain has a national health service similar to the NHS. You have to have been living in Spain for more than five years or be employed there. If not, you must be paying directly into their health service. As a UK national you are no longer a citizen of the EU, and this means that things have changed. If you have a current European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you can still use that, but they are being phased out. You will then need to apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which is free to British citizens, although there are some websites that charge for it! Take care not to use one of those. You can visit https://www.healthplanspain.com/ for more information. 
If you are working in Spain, going to open a bank account, and want to buy or sell a property or a car, you will need an NIE number which is a tax identification number. These are issued by the Comisaria General de Extranjeria. They don’t have offices in every town, so you will have to find the nearest one. You need the following documents: 
Your passport and a copy of all pages 
Passport photos 
Proof of legal entry into Spain 
A complete EX-15 form; you can find this online along with English instructions (it must be completed in Spanish) 
A supporting document stating why you need an NIE (plus a photocopy) 
You are supposed to apply for this in person, but you can also get one from the Spanish consulate before you leave. 
Of course, if you need removal to Spain you will need to use a removal company such as ourselves at Movers International. We are specialists in removal to Spain, and we go there so often that we have two depots of our own in Malaga and Alicante. We also have weekly runs to Spain, which are ideal if you do not need a full van, but only a part load. We also have small vans available for areas that are difficult. Many cities have very narrow streets and some of the more remote locations are difficult to access as well. Just let us know beforehand. 
At Movers International, our expert packers can pack everything for you so that it all arrives in perfect condition at your destination and guarantees you a stress-free move. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings